These gluten free biscuits bring the warm flaky country flavor to the dinner table, they go great with every meal from a pile of ribs, or as a breakfast sandwich!
When I developed these lovely allergies, I never thought I would taste a flaky biscuit ever again… But, my taste buds can finally rejoice! These little biscuits are exactly what you expect without that evil gluten! They are crispy on the outside, riddled with layers of flaky dough, and moist on the inside.
The moment these little gems came out of the oven I started to realize the endless recipes I could make with them. I immediately paired the fresh gluten free biscuits with some dairy free butter and jam, and had them with bacon and eggs the next morning! Having a go to biscuit recipe is truly so underrated. Those layers are powerful indeed.
Scroll to the bottom for the consolidated recipe!
Nikki’s Notes for Gluten Free Biscuits
- I do not have a pastry cutter, so I grate my butter and throw it in the freezer! It makes it much easier to incorporate into the flour with a fork!
- To make dairy free buttermilk you just add a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of dairy free milk. I used unsweetened soy milk!
- DO NOT overmix or over handle dough. This will make for a tough biscuit which no one wants!
- The best tip for making biscuits is keeping everything cold, so move fast! Make sure your oven is preheated before mixing the dough. The cold butter and dough are what keep them flaky and layered!
Yields: 12 Biscuits
Temperature: 450 Degrees
Gluten Free Biscuit Ingredients
- 2 cups gluten free flour (Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- 1 tbsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup dairy free buttermilk (See Nikki’s Notes for Dairy Free Buttermilk)
- 6 tbsp dairy free butter (Country Crock Avocado Oil Sticks)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour (reserved for forming biscuits)
Gluten Free Biscuit Recipe
- Preheat oven to 450 Degrees
- In a large bowl, sift gluten free flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Make dairy free buttermilk by combining 1 cup of dairy free milk and 1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice. Place in refrigerator to stay cold for 10 minutes.
- Grate the butter on a small plate and place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with fork until it forms mixture that looks like small peas.
- Add buttermilk and whisked eggs to the bowl until combined.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on table. Add one tbsp of flour onto parchment paper. Place dough onto flour.
- Add another tbsp of flour on top of the dough ball. With your hands fold the dough in half on top of itself 2 times.
- Form a dough round that is about 8 inches in diameter and 1 in thick
- Cut out 2-inch biscuits using a cutter or the mouth of a glass. Do not twist the cutter when pressing down.
- Place biscuits on a greased cookie sheet.
- Take the dough scraps and gently fold them back into a dough round. Cut out 2-inch biscuits until you have run out of dough. You should have 12 biscuits.
- Bake the biscuits for 15 minutes and then brush with butter. Bake for another 3-5 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove biscuits from oven and brush with butter one final time. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
My Site contains Affiliate Links, and I may receive a small commission if you click the link and purchase a product. I will never recommend anything I haven’t tried and liked! Thank you for supporting Inclusive Kitchen!