A classic American treat without the gluten! Fried golden brown batter surrounding a hot dog, what could get better than that!? Bring the fair to your own kitchen with these gluten free corn dogs!
Going to a fair I always loved getting a bag of warm kettle corn and a yellow mustard slathered corn dog! There is something magical about a corn dog, I think it lies in the combination of the crunchy fried exterior with a salty hot dog on the inside.
Since I developed food allergies, fair food has been taken off the list, so now I make all of my favorites right in my own kitchen! I like to use Gluten Free Bisquick because it is a nice shortcut when making the batter. I add corn flour to give that beloved corn flavor to the batter. These are a treat any kid or adult would enjoy! So, break out your skewers and start dipping, we got corn dogs to make!
- Place your prepared batter in a tall, skinny glass about the height of your skewer. This will help with coating your dogs! All you will have to do is stick the skewered dog straight into the glass and place into the hot oil!
- Make sure you have enough oil in your pot to cover the corn dogs while frying. The batter will break if half of the corn dog is not in the oil.
- Start with adding 1 cup of milk and slowly add the rest! You want the batter to be the consistency of a thick pancake batter!
- You can use corn meal instead of corn flour, adjust your milk accordingly!
Yields: 8 gluten free corn dogs
- 1 pack of hot dogs
- 8 skewers
- Canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup Gluten Free Bisquick
- 1 Cup Corn Flour (Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Corn Flour)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½- 2 cups dairy free milk (Silk Unsweetened Soy Milk)
- Heat 2-3 inches of oil to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl add bisquick, corn flour, and sugar. Stir until combined
- Whisk in 2 eggs, and 1 ½-2 cups of milk. You want the batter to be the consistency of thick pancake batter.
- Place hotdogs on skewers. Pour batter into tall, skinny glass, about the height of the skewer.
- Once the hot dogs are prepared, dunk each hot dog until fully coated. Quickly drop them into the hot oil and allow them to cook on each side for about 2-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let drain on paper towel and then move to wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
My Site contains Affiliate Links, and I may receive a small commission if you click the link and purchase a product. I will never recommend anything I haven’t tried and liked! Thank you for supporting Inclusive Kitchen!