If you don’t have a rice cooker, but have an instant pot, make instant pot sushi rice for everything from actual sushi, poke bowls and even fried rice!
Sushi is one of my favorite meals to eat out, but I wanted to be able to bring it home! There are several tricks to great sushi rice. The first is the type of rice you use. You need to use a white short grain rice. In the rice section of your grocery store there are specific bags of rice labeled “sushi” rice, and those work fantastic. The second trick is how the rice is seasoned, I always assumed sushi rice was plain rice, and I couldn’t have been more wrong. Sushi rice is the perfect combination of vinegar, sugar, and salt that makes whatever protein it is paired with pop! Finally, the rice needs to be cooked just right. If you do not have a rice maker an Instant Pot is the closest cooking method to it! Combining these three tricks I think this recipe makes a great sushi rice that can be used for a variety of recipes. I use this sushi rice for homemade sushi, poke bowls, and even in my fried rice! Try this recipe out, you will be amazed how easy at home sushi rice can be!
Scroll to the bottom for the consolidated recipe!
- Make sure to rinse your rice thoroughly, this helps remove the starch, and keeps it from getting gummy
- 2 cups short-grain Japanese rice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
Instant Pot Sushi Rice Recipe
- In a fine mesh strainer or small hole colander, rinse rice under running water for about a minute.
- Add rice and water to Instant Pot and use rice setting, low pressure for 12 minutes.
- Once the cook time is complete, allow the pressure to naturally release. This will take about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix white wine vinegar, rice wine vinegar, salt, and sugar together. Microwave for 1 minutes to completely dissolve.
- With a wooden spoon, add vinegar mixture and gently mix until fully combined.
- Enjoy as your favorite sushi!
Or Try a Poke Bowl!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
My Site contains Affiliate Links, and I may receive a small commission if you click the link and purchase a product. I will never recommend anything I haven’t tried and liked! Thank you for supporting Inclusive Kitchen!