Dairy Free mashed potatoes are being redefined in this recipe that incorporates mayonnaise and chicken broth instead of heaps of margarine or plant butter!
Growing up in an Italian household the mashed potato was not a side dish of choice. Yet, exploring my own culinary palate I realized it does pair well with everything. Maybe the Irish were onto something here! Although dairy free butter has come a long way, I was realizing I had to use significantly more to achieve the same creamy texture had I used dairy butter. There had to be a better way!
Everyone is going to think I am a little crazy here, but I swear this recipe is delicious. For this recipe you add mayonnaise and chicken broth to your mashed potatoes and let me tell you they taste amazing!
For all of you mayonnaise doubters out there, my boyfriend joins you, and he loves this recipe. The chicken broth adds an earthiness while the mayo provides a phenomenal creamy base. Give it a try I swear this recipe will make you a believer and saying “I can’t believe it’s not butter… in my mashed potatoes!”
Scroll to the bottom for consolidated recipe!
- What mayonnaise to use? I used avocado mayonnaise but regular mayonnaise works just as well! I do not recommend using a light or low-fat option!
- Be careful when adding salt to taste. The chicken broth, and mayonnaise both are salted and may be enough for most palates.
- Warm chicken broth before adding to the potatoes!
- 4 Large Russet Potatoes (Peeled and cut into large cubes)
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 3 tbsp avocado mayonnaise
- Sea Salt/ Pepper to taste
- Peel and cut Russet potatoes into large cubes.
- Place potatoes in pot of room temperature water and coarse salt.
- Boil potatoes until they are fork tender, this may take about 15-20 minutes.
- Strain potatoes once they are finished cooking and place back into pot.
- Warm chicken broth in microwave or on stove top before adding to the potatoes. Add broth and mayonnaise. Mash all ingredients.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Enjoy your dairy free mashed potatoes!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
My Site contains Affiliate Links, and I may receive a small commission if you click the link and purchase a product. I will never recommend anything I haven’t tried and liked! Thank you for supporting Inclusive Kitchen!